Thinning of nostril by cocaine

I have been an occasional cocaine user for about ten years. I have never used it too much nor have I ever had an addictive compulsive behaviour. However, in these years I have always tended to use the same nostril. After the last time I used I noticed, what I think might be a thinning of the inside of my nose on that particular side. I would like to know if this is something that my own body will cure if I permanently stop using the drug, or if this is a thing that merits seeing a doctor. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. John Fuller replied 4 Days.

Thank you for your query.

Cocaine is one particularly dangerous recreational drug. It can cause a lot health issues form nasal irritation to heart attack.

Thinning of nasal mucosa is a known side effect of cocaine abuse. Stopping the drug is the solution for that, as you rightly said. But long term cocaine use can also lead on to nasal septal (bone in the middle of nose) perforation. So you may want to see a Doctor to make sure there is only nasal mucosa thinning, not perforation. You can examine yourself in the mirror and see for yourself. Also you have have your GP check it for you when you have a routine visit. No emergency medical helps is required.

But if you find it difficult to quit he cocaine habbit, you should get professional help.

You need to consult a Doctor for this particular problem. You body will attempt to repair the nasal mucosa. In case if you experience bleeding from the nose you can get medical help.

Dr. John Fuller
MD - New York Institute of Technology, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
Internship, Family Medicine - Lutheran Medical Center
Residency, Family Medicine - The Mount Sinai Hospital