Transmission of herpes virus and outbreak after affecting

Hello doctor, I am a 28 years old guy. I am married and am sexually active with my wife. I previously had another affairs and got affected with HSV from that. Later, on October last year I have got the first outbreak at that time and got one more outbreak since then. Now, I would like to have unprotected sex with my wife, to have a baby. She is not infected till now. I don’t wish to infect my wide with this dreaded disease. What can I do for that? Please help me with that.

Expert:  Dr. Steve Merris replied 4 Days.

Thanks for your care and concern. As you may know Herpes is a sexually transmitted disease which is spread mainly while the outbreak is on. While you are the outbreak of it, you will feel itching, tingling and get similar sensations. These symptoms are called prodromal symptoms. Those symptoms warn that there are viruses inside the skin, which can get transmitted to others while having a skin to skin contact. From your question, it is evident that you got the outbreak about one year ago and there is minimal risk in transmitting the disease to your wife. Hope your doubt is cleared. Take care.

Dr. Steve Merris
Medical School - New York University
Internship in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Residency in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine - Columbia University Medical Center