Abdominal pain secondary to hepatitis.

Hello... I am a 42 year old male in good health and moderate exercise (5'11" - 190lbs.) mostly healthy eater. In the past few days, I have been getting pains in the upper right portion of my abdomen, just beneath the rib cage. They only happen about 3 minutes after I eat and subside completely about 15 minutes after eating. The pressure will build, almost like a burp, but much lower and no gas comes out. Some can be quite intense and I've been told I look pale and my temperature seems to go up for a minute. Then it all goes back to normal. The rest of the day I feel fine. My stool is a little smaller and more solid, but not very different than normal.

I have been in Thailand for the past month so I am eating newer and spicier foods. But I am eating mostly whole foods (rice, chicken, vegetables) and exercising a lot.

Do you have any ideas of what it could be? Gall stone blockage... blockage in my intestines... infection or spicy food (spicy seems to not trigger it specifically) ... liver or kidney issue?

Any information or suggestions would be incredibly helpful.

Thank you!

Category: Gastroenterologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 4 Days.

Thanks for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com.
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

I went through your post about abdominal pain.
Pain in the right upper quadrant can occur in many conditions.
It can occur if there is hepatitis (liver issue), cholecystitis (gallbladder issue), gastritis/peptic ulcer and pancreatitis ( pancreas issue).
You have given a good information about the nature of the pain.
According to the information given by you, you have an intermittent type of pain that lasts for only a few minutes.
Of the four possible causes I have mentioned above, gastritis/ulcer disease fit in.

I would advise you to take omeprazole for pain relief.
If there is no relief, then a few tests like an upper GI endoscopy, an ultrasound scan of the abdomen are to be done to find the cause.

I hope that answers your question. Would be glad to answer any follow-ups.
Dr.R.K

EDIT:
Omeprazole is available as an Over the counter drug named Prilosec. Take one tablet per day for 14 days half an hour before a meal.

A few precautionary measures you need to take to prevent it from recurring or getting worse:
1) Avoid smoking and excessive alcohol consumption and carbonated drinks or excessive caffeine
2) Avoid spicy food, deep fried food
3)Avoid foods that cause a lot of gas such as peas, lentils beans, potatoes, cabbage, cauliflower, bananas, apricots prunes.
4) Avoid staying hungry, make sure you eat at short intervals and maintain a regular eating cycle. Try and have an early dinner.
5)Continue eating rice, vegetable, chicken, fruits, but avoid having them as a spicy preparation.

Thankyou

Dr. Ratnakar Kini
Fellowship - DM - TN Dr.MGR Medical UniversityResidency - TN Dr.MGR Medical University Medical School - Stanely Medical College, TN Dr.MGR Medical University