Alternative treatments for damaged KNEE CARTILAGE besides PHYSICAL THERAPY.

Are there any alternate treatments (besides a brace and physical therapy) for severe damage to protective cartilage behind knee (from it not tracking properly)?

Category: Orthopedic Surgeon

Expert:  Dr. Mukesh Tiwari replied 4 Days.

There are special surgeries like replacement of cartilage or platelet rich plasma therapy which can be helpful for such problems.
Hope this will help you,

Thank you for your follow up. I do have an additional question. My current course of treatment
is just wearing a knee brace and physical therapy to help it track properly , But that won't undo the
damage already caused will it ? My main concern is that even if I get the tracking problem fixed I'm still going to have the pain and problems I have now from the damage already done.

Expert:  Dr. Mukesh Tiwari replied 3 Days.

It's not like that.If damage is of grade 1or there is minimal loss of cartilage then it can be recovered by glucosamine therapy,intra articular hyaluron injections,etc.In case of advanced grades other treatments like cartilage surgery or in advanced cases replacement is advised.

Dr. Mukesh Tiwari
Fellowship - Khandaka Hospital, Jaipur
Residency - MS, Rabindranath Tagore Medical College, Udaipur, 2000
Medical School, Internship - MBBS, SMS Medical College, Jaipur, 1995