Am I having a weak immune system incapable of defeating cold?

I am 25 years old, male, non-smoker. I was affected with cold a couple of months ago. Then I had a running nose, a blocked nose later and green snot. Now, my problem is that I used to have that green snot frequently at alternative days. Some days I wake up normal and on some other days, I wake up with a green snot. What is wrong with me? I am worried because these all happened after getting affected with that cold. Does this indicate that my immune system is weak? What should I do now?

Thank you for using Ask a Doctor Services from Doctor Spring.

I understand your health issue. You need not worry about it at this stage. The green snot is nothing but a collection of infected mucous. when cold viruses infect the respiratory tract, the body makes clear mucus that helps wash away germs from the nose and sinuses. After about three days, the body's immune cells fight back, changing the discharge to a white or yellow color. As the bacteria that live in the nose grow back, they may also be found in the mucus, which changes to a greenish color.

To get rid of this symptom, it is necessary to evaluate the cause of such infection. The most common cause being sinusitis. I would advise you to consult an ENT specialist where he might ask for a simple PNS (Paranasal sinus) X-ray to confirm the diagnosis. Following which treatment will be started mostly with antibiotics, decongestants and nasal sprays.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask if you need further help.