Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Am I having genital herpes or any other STDs?

Resolved Question:

Hello doctor, I am a 22 years old female. I have been with my boyfriend for long. Also, I had sex with some of my friends too. Now, I feel that someone might have given me a STD. It all started with a yeast infection in my genitals. I later brought medication for it was using it for some time. Then it went away by its own and there was no other issue at that time. Later, I noticed small cuts in my genitals, specifically in the perineum and it hurts me very badly while urinating. I tried using some creams like Vagisil and Neosporin powder. But there are no changes to my condition till now. Now when I woke up today morning, I found small bumps in my vaginal area and some sore like bumps in my inner labia (labia minora). What is the cause of this? I am really afraid of this. Is this any serious STD or something else? Please help me out.

Category: Community

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Internal Medicine Specialist
 30 Doctors Online

Thanks for your question. It is really unfortunate to know about your suffering in genitals. From your description, it seems you have herpes. Herpes is a viral infection usually transmitted from infected people through sexual contact. It may stay dormant in body for a long time or outbreak in 2-3 weeks from infection. Its symptoms are small bumps and sores in vaginal area and it will go away by its own, without applying any medicines. In your case, you are more likely to have a second outbreak of HSV. However it cannot be confirmed if the sores are not painful. Symptoms of HSV includes sores in genitals which later turn to blisters and break by its own, swelling the fluid out. After some days it will heal by itself, leaving a scab behind.  Burning or itching feeling is also associated with this. Anyway there are no home treatments available for herpes. Also, no treatments have been found yet to eradicate the virus from human body. For you, it is better to consult your doctor and have HSV tests done for HSV type 2. If it comes out as positive, your doctor will prescribe some antiviral medicines for you. Otherwise you can avail treatment suitable to your disease. Anyway, it is better to abstain from sex till you get confirmation about your infection. If it is herpes, it is highly contagious and you will spread it with a single sexual intercourse. Hope my answer helps. Take care.

Dr. Steve Merris
Category: Internal Medicine Specialist
Medical School - New York University
Internship in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Residency in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine - Columbia University Medical Center
Dr. Steve Merris and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news