Any Home remedies in Urinary Problem

Hi I am Sophie and I am 60 years old and I have urinary problem from the past 2 years. Initially it was not so troublesome, but these days it is bothering me and I feel so embarrassed to go out. I will have to sit at home all the time. My urine keeps leaking, sometimes I don't even know until it leaks out. It is making my clothes smell bad. Urine spurts out even when I cough or sneeze. I weigh 75 kg and I am155 cm tall, otherwise healthy no health related issues. I do not feel very comfortable to go to the doctor for this reason. So please help me with this, and guide me with any home remedies?

Hello, thanks for writing to us.

That is so sad that you have to go through this situation. You are most likely suffering from genuine stress incontinence. It is a common condition seen in obese, post menopausal women (who have attained menopause).

Normally the pressure of urethra (the opening from which the urine comes out) is more than the pressure in the bladder, that is the reason the urine leakage is under check and does not leak. But in obese and post-menopausal women, it so happens that the bladder pressure exceeds the urethral pressure, therefore the urine keeps leaking. Similar mechanism is seen while coughing and sneezing.

The most important thing is that this dribbling of urine is usually absent during nights while sleeping. I would like to advise that you should not neglect your problem just because you are not comfortable with the Doctor. Feel free to discuss your condition personally with your doctor and get the examination done. This will help in detecting the presence of any anatomical defect in the urethra/ vagina/ or uterus more so because you are in post-menopause phase.

Medical therapy includes Kegel exercises and topical estrogen crème in this case. Kegel exercises are a set of exercises involving the strengthening of the pelvic floor muscles including urethral muscles. There are other surgical procedures for this kind of treatment, but its necessity can be assessed only after complete examination.