Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Applied left over Differin and swollen dry eyelids

Resolved Question:

I had a breakout on my face and applied Differin cream I had left over from my old dermatologist for a week. The other night I was sweating while doing something and rubbed my eyes and they hurt. I washed my face and went to bed and the next day my eye lids were very dry and tight feeling, had a burning stinging sensation especially when rubbed or if I tried to put cream on them to soothe the dryness, and they were swollen, but not dramatically. I applied cream and put a cool wash cloth on them and alternated with a cool gel pack all day. I went to bed and today they are still somewhat swollen and they sting/burng, and my eyes themselves feel dry. But my entire face sort of stings and feels very overly dry. I will have to pay out of pocket to see a doctor, so should I go to an opthamologist for my eyelid pinkness/swelling/burning? Or do I go to a dermatologist? I didn't think it would be a big deal to use my leftover Differin from awhile ago because the only negative I experienced from the last time I tried it was dry flaky skin and I figured that wasn't that bad if it cleared my breakout. Now I wish i hadn't used it but I don't know if I can afford two doctor visits, so should I just go to the opthamologist? I've also tried benadryl in case this was an allergic reaction.

Category: Family Physician-GP

Ask Your Own Question

Category: HIV- AIDS Specialist
 23 Doctors Online

Hello. Thank you for choosing Doctorspring. I will be glad to help you.

From the history of allergies that you have and the presentation you are giving me; in all probability you seem to have an allergic reaction.

You probably have a condition known clinically as 'Allergic Dermatitis'. This has occurred probably as a result of the creams you have applied on your face. Different creams have different chemical contents in them and you are probably allergic to some chemical content that is present in the cream you had applied. This is the reason you should always use topical creams for any condition under the guidance of your dermatologist who would know which one would suit you best.

The burning sensation on your face is also probably be due to the same cream and is probably also part of the same allergic dermatitis.

The cause and treatment for your condition depends on the allergen or environment that you are allergic too. So, i would strongly recommend that you discontinue usage of any chemicals or creams on your face that you are using. This would be the most important step to retard any further progression of your condition.
Apply cool compresses on your eyes to soothe the burning and itching.
Artificial tears used 5-6 times periodically in a day would also help alleviate symptoms.
Using oral antihistamines like cetrizine or fexofenadine preferably under the guidance of your physician would be really helpful.
During this time use only non irritant cleansers while washing your face. Avoid soaps or any other chemical containing cleansers until your skin heals

During this time if you experience any greenish eye discharge or excessive sensitivity to light or.any eye pain or vision problems ; I would recommend that you immediately consult an ophthalmologist immediately. In case your facial skin condition is worsening or new skin lesions arise or it is showing no signs of improvement over a span of a week then i strongly recommend you to consult a dermatologist.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
Category: HIV- AIDS Specialist
MBBS from Sri Ramachandra University in December 2011
M.Med (Family Medicine) - TNMGR University, Chennai
MBA-MPH in Public Health in March 2016, SRM University
Finished AFIH in March 2016, SRM University
MRCP ( UK ), Internal Medicine, Royal College of Physicians, June 2016
Fellowship in Diabetology from Martin Luther University in January 2017

Currently Resident Physician, in MD Radiodiagnosis - Kamakshi Memorial Hospital, Chennai
Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news