Are insomnia, shortness of breath widrawal effects of CYMBALTA?

I am 78 yrs old and have taken cymbalta 27 days it has given me insominia and shortness of breath both have subsided . i was 30 mg daily should i worry about withdrawal i do have a little dizziness, Please answer asap i waited 6 hrs yestereday fo an unsatisfactory answer

Category: Psychiatrist

Expert:  Dr. Srikanth Reddy replied 4 Days.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
Akathesia is a common side-effect of various antipsychotics and you are on tw antipsychotics , the risperidal and truxal which can cause akathesia. Beta blockers are definitely the treatment of choice but unfortunately it has not worked with you.
Now the other two options are :
1) Reducing the dose of akathesia causing antipsychotics. The dose of truxal may be reduced further and if required the risperidal may be spaced further.
2) As per your thoughts, Valium can be tried but it will only give you a temporary relief as it doesnt treat akathesia but simply reduces the restlessness.
Do discuss these options with your physician.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Doctor of Medicine (MD), Psychiatry Residency Program,2001 – 2012
M.B.B.S,Mahatma Gandhi Institute Of Medical Sciences, Sevagram

Certificate Course in sex Therapy and Counselling, Sexology and Counselling, A
Sexology,Medikon Sexual Sciences, Mumbai

Training in Advanced Neurology at a leading corporate hospital (CARE hospital) in Hyderabad

Child Psychiatry Training in National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences, Bangalore

Sex Therapy and Counsellingat MEDIKON Sexual Sciences, Mumbai.