Balck dots on toe with mild pain. Cause?

Today I discovered two very small black dots that seem embedded in/barely on the surface of my skin. One is larger and seemingly less-embedded than the other. They're both on my right big toe.

The larger of the two dots has minimal swelling around it. Neither of them hurt very much, but they each do hurt a small amount, especially when touched.

I don't believe they're splinters and I have no idea where they came from. They were there when I woke up this morning and I'm fairly certain they weren't there before.

This is my first time using this website (and any other online medical resource for that matter), so please, if possible, include in your answer your level of certainty and whether I should seek further medical help. Thanks.

These are called warts. Also known as verruca vulgaris. It's caused by hpv virus. It produces lesions in the skin which can spread in the surrounding area over a period of time.

The treatment for it would be application of solution that contains a combination of salicylic and lactic acid. It needs to be applied daily on the wart. You will need a prescription for the solution from your doctor.

What will happen if I don't treat the warts? Will they go away on their own? Or am I required to treat them?
Are you able to write a prescription for the solution needed?

You need to treat the warts. You cannot leave them untreated.

I am sorry but I won't be able to write a prescription for the solution.

You can get it from your local doctor.