Nagging cough without breathlessness in COPD.

Pulmonoligsts... I am a 58 year old male. I have smoked for 40 years. Recently I was was diagnosed with copd with fev1 fvc ratio of 30 percent. Post bronchodilator test showed improvement of 24 percent but only 178 ml instead of 200mls. Yet I can walk briskly for 4 nules. Do weight lifting for 30 mins immediately afterward. Can also skip rope without feeling breathless at all. Never felt breathless all my life... problem was a nagging cough. My doctor said I should be on oxygen with my spirometry numbers. So how am I able to do all this?

Category: Pulmonologist

Expert:  Dr. Andrew Lewis replied 4 Days.

Dear patient,
The spirometry reveals very severe air way obstruction with mom significant reversibility.
It may not be limiting your physical activity as currently you are only 58, and heart is compensating for the lung weakness. Also during exercise there is adrenalin surge which also increases your. It also increases your lung capacity similar to the extend of a nebulised bronchodilator.
The cough that you are currently experiencing is body's protective mechanism to expel sputum and to increase the fev1.
Suggest to quit smoking and do take inhaled drugs that doctor may suggest.
Dr. Jacob George P
MD IDCCM FCCP

Dr. Andrew Lewis