Hair follicle positive for cocaine, but had cocaine ten years back.

I just recently had a hair follicle test for a potential employer, which came back positive for cocaine. I have tried cocaine a couple of times but it was almost 10 years ago. In the past couple of months I have had 3 root canals and 3 fillings. Is there anything that they use that would cause me to test positive for cocaine? They did verify that it was confirmed with GC/MS. The only medications I have taken are amoxicillin, Tylenol PM, hydrocodone, and one other antibiotic which I can't remember the name of. I am currently employed but my family and I are about to move out of state and I need to find a job. I do have a couple of more offers but I don't want to say yes if I am going to fail the drug test. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, Thank you for asking your query at DoctorSpring.

Coccaine usually remains in the hair follicle for maybe 4 months or more, but it varies and depends on how frequent you used to have. This will increasingly apply if you haven't got a hair cut since a long time. But, in your case 10 years is very long time and very low chances the cocaine would still remain in your hair follivles.

Amoxicillin and ampicillin are drugs which will give a false positive test for cocaine. I suggest you go for a repeat testing a week after you are done with the course of amoxicillin. Kidney and liver disorders, along with Diabetes have also been known to show up false positives. You can look in if you have any of the disorders by going for a liver function tests and kidney function tests. Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask follow-up questions