Best time for getting STD tested.

Dear Doctor,

I have known about the complete STD list that is very huge and anyone can get affected by any of the sexual disease. I want to know that when I should undergo the STD tests after having unprotected sex with my partner.

Expert:  Dr. Steve Merris replied 4 Days.

Thanks for your question and concern. I would like to inform that you should undergo the blood tests soon if you are quite active in sex. Or otherwise also to make sure that you are safe and free from any STD, you need to have the blood test done. Different organisms behave differently. Some start showing up the symptoms in a very less time whereas some might take quite a long to make the symptoms visible. If you cannot see any such symptom that does not prove that you are an STD free person. Because there are lots of sexual diseases and infections that don’t show up in your body and you come to know about them only after your STD tests are done. The complete STD list can be verified mostly by the blood test done by your doctor. It would let you know whether your tests were positive or negative from the result of your blood count. I would advise you not to be afraid if your STD tests show up positive because the complete STD list is curable these days and hence you shouldn’t worry about it much and start the treatment soon. It is always advised to have protected sex to make sure that the transmission of the organisms does not happen from the body of the one infected person onto the body of the other person. You can consult your personal doctor for any difficulty in having sex or if you face any issue or pain in your genital areas. You should ignore the symptoms and get the tests done on time to make sure that you are healthy and have not been infected by anyone. Good luck.

Dr. Steve Merris
Medical School - New York University
Internship in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Residency in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine - Columbia University Medical Center