Boyfriend has got herpes and is 99% sure. But I haven’t had got any symptoms.

Dear doctor, I am afraid of my situation regarding herpes. I am a 20 years old female. I stayed with my boyfriend 3 months before, for about six months. Now, he tells that he has got genital herpes. He made a chat with a doctor online and showed him the pictures of his genitals. Doctor confirmed that he has got genital herpes. Now, my fear is that whether I may have had this disease? I haven’t tested for any sexually transmitted disease recently. It was negative when I tested last time, which was about 7 months before. I haven’t had any symptoms of genital herpes yet. But I am afraid that there is a chance. Is my fear valid? Is there a chance that I can get infected? Now, he has got some little bumps in his penis. Is it genital herpes or anything else? Is there a possibility that I gave him the virus and got it from my ex-boyfriend? Or, is it possibly due to his own sexual activity someone else? Please help.

Thanks for your question and concern, Now, my advice is that both of you should go for a HSV test. Take two tests for HSV type 1 and Type 2. This is because, herpes is caused by two types of viruses- Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 and type 2. Each can co-exist in a body but tests should be done separately to rule out the chance. Also, you should realize that herpes is not tested as a routine check when you visit your doctor. It is even not included in standard STD tests. They test for Gonorrhea and Chlamydia during routine checks. Anyway it is really impossible to find how long one have had herpes and from whom he or she got infected. This is because, some people act as carriers of virus without having any outbreak by themselves. They do not have any symptoms or visible outbreaks of the infection. But still, they will be able to transmit the virus through sexual practices. It is likely that both of you have got the infection long before but in your case an outbreak is yet to happen and the bumps you found in his penis is more likely to be an outbreak of herpes. If he is suffering from severe outbreak, administration of antiviral medications like acyclovir and Valtrex are recommended. Also, it is recommended to used condoms while having sex so that it will reduce the possibility of outbreak. This is because, frequent exposure to virus can trigger an outbreak and it can be severe. Unfortunately I cannot suggest any hone made remedies for genital herpes. Herpes treatment should be taken in behalf of a doctor, Hope this helps. Take care.