Pain, soreness on toungue with TOBACCO use. ORAL CANCER?

I am concerned that I may have oral cancer. I just started to get a pain and soreness on the lateral posterior part of the left side of my tongue.I have a history of tobacco use, 4 years old patientto be exact, extremely healthy diet along with plenty of exercise. No family history of cancer of any kind. I was hoping to get a suggestion while I'm awaiting my visit to the dentist. Picture is included.

Category: Dentist

Expert:  Dr. Girish P.V replied 4 Days.

The lesion most probably does not look like a pre-cancerous lesion.
It could be an irritational ulcer/ injury to the tongue because of sharp tooth edges.
Get the tooth edges blunted/trimmed by your dentist- to reduce damage to that area of the tongue
In most cases application of oral gels like lignocaine/precaine gels should subside the symptoms.
Also start a course of multivitamin tablets for a month and have plenty of fluids.
However, if symtoms persist consult an oral and maxillofacial surgeon and get a biopsy done to confirm any
further issues.

Dr.Girish P.V
Orthodontist and Clear Aligner Specialist(Germany)

Dr. Girish P.V
Trained under Dr.Fillion (France) in 2006 for Lingual orthodontics  
Trained by Hee Moon Kyung(Korea) for invisible braces(2010)  
Certified / Trained in Germany for Clear Aligners (Invisible braces)  
Trained under Dr.Girish Rao for dental implants
MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics from A.E.C.S Maaruti Dental College and Hospitals, Bangalore   
BDS, V.S Dental College and Hospitals, Bangalore