Bright yellow bile in stools after cholecystectomy

Hi...my question...is it normal to have bright yellow bile in my stools every day after a gallbladder removal over a year ago?...pain on and off daily on upper left side...nausea...indigestion...slightly elevated liver enzymes and high cholesterol... 52 years old, non drinker non smoker...diagnosed with Sjogrens 3 years ago...had upper and lower scopes and dr said everything ok...

Category: Gastroenterologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 4 Days.

Thanks for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com. I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

Yes, it is normal. Gallbladder stores bile before it is utilized for digestion. Bile is reabsorbed in the terminal small intestine.

If gallbladder is removed, this storage function is lost and some amount of bile which is not reabsorbed can be lost in stool. So it is normal. It may even cause diarrhea.

For the pain in the upper left quadrant, I would suggest an upper GI endoscopy to rule out acid peptic disease. Since you have not mentioned about the liver enzyme levels, I am not able to comment on that.

I hope that answers your question. Please let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.R.K

Dr. Ratnakar Kini
Fellowship - DM - TN Dr.MGR Medical UniversityResidency - TN Dr.MGR Medical University Medical School - Stanely Medical College, TN Dr.MGR Medical University