Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Bruise easily, heal slowly with chronic LOW IRON.

I am a 41 year old female and am at home full-time (no young kids). I take iron supplements due to chronic low iron. I bruise easily and heal very slowly. Recently I was in the backyard playing with my puppy and I felt a burning/stinging pain on my leg. When I looked down I saw a large varicose vein. I have never had varicose veins before and this one just suddenly appeared. The vein ended up bursting causing a large very sore bruise. What may of caused this and should I be concerned?

Expert:  Dr. Deepu S Sebastian replied 4 Days ago

Firstly, varicose veins bruise very easily, and secondly you have a history of easy bruising.
Varicose veins are prone to be easily injured, bruising, itching and ulcer formation.
This will heal provided there is no further injury to the site, however, I will request you to first get it examined by your physician to know the severity of the varicosity.

I no longer have the varicose vein as it appeared suddenly and then ruptured and all I am left with is a large tender bruise. Do you still thinik I should go have my concern addressed to my GP and what may have caused a sudden swollen vein to appear and then be gone?.

Expert:  Dr. Deepu S Sebastian replied 3 Days ago

No varicose veins do not just come and disappear like that.
How is your BP? Sometimes hypertensives can have sudden dilatation of veins, or those on birth control may have such prominent appearing veins.
I will advise you to get a platelet count checked and revert back to me.
As of now, let it heal. You can apply Thrombophobe ointment 2 times daily.

Dr. Deepu S Sebastian

Users who read this, also read:

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation

CHAT NOW

DoctorSpring in news