Burning feeling in muscles, twitching in legs.

In the past three-four weeks, I have had issues with my right leg and twitching in both legs. My right foot is where the problem is concentrated. It's hard to explain the feeling but when I walk on it, I notice it more and a lot of times if I am sitting funny with it up or twisted it starts to tingle. I also have had pretty consistent muscle twitches mostly in my legs, although sometimes in my arms too. Now, when I walk up stairs my right leg muscles seem to be burning. I am 22 year old female. I know this would be really rare for my age but I keep reading online and fear something serious like ALS. Do you have any indicators that I would be able to tell if it is caused by ALS or not?

thanks

Category: Neurologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Sudhir Kumar replied 4 Days.

Thank you for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com
I have noted your symptoms and would like to reassure you that you do not have features of ALS.
Your current symptoms are suggestive of mild peripheral neuropathy, a disease of nerves in the skin. n this case, it is getting aggravated by mechanical pressure over the skin.
We need to exclude conditions such as vitamin B12 and D deficiency, thyroid hormone deficiency and diabetes mellitus, which are common causes of peripheral nerve disease.
There is no need to worry at present.
I hope it helps.
Best wishes,
Dr. Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist

Hi Dr. Kumar,

Thank you for the reply. As a follow up, could you just tell me what specifically makes those features not of ALS just so I can be aware? I have gotten my B12 checked recently and was told it is not out of the "normal range". Is there anything else I should be tested for to help figure out the issue?

Expert:  Dr. Sudhir Kumar replied 3 Days.

Thank you for getting back and my apologies for the delay with the reply.
In ALS, there would be a combination of lower motor neuron features (thinning of muscles, generalized muscle twitchings and weakness) along with upper motor neuron features (increased stiffness of limbs, and exaggerated deep tendon reflexes). These symptoms are present all the time, and are not episodic.
Also, symptoms such as burning and tingling are uncommon in ALS, and more common in peripheral neuropathy.
In addition to the tests advised, you may do a nerve conduction studies to confirm the diagnosis.
Best wishes, Please feel free to discuss further.
Senior Consultant Neurologist

Dr. Sudhir Kumar
Senior Residency, Fellowship: DM, Neurology, CMC, Vellore, 2001
Junior Residency: MD, Internal Medicine, CMC, Vellore, 1998
Medical School: MBBS, Christian Medical College, Vellore, 1995