Can wearing diapers cause my baby to be bow legged?

Can wearing diapers cause my baby to be bow legged? My baby is 5 weeks and 2 days old.

Category: Pediatrician

Expert:  Dr. Saptharishi L G replied 4 Days.

Dear parent, Thank you for your consult at DoctorSpring.com.
I can assure you that there have been no such reports till date.
Diapers are generally soft and pliable, hence unlikely to impact the growth of bones. In developing nations, mothers have the habit of carrying their infants seated on their hips. That practice infact has been shown to decrease the incidence of developmental dysplasia of hip
in children.
Hence, rest assured that there is no such concern. Would be glad to answer any further queries.
Dr Saptharishi L G

Thanks doctor. I have another question...my baby generally goes through 6-7 diapers a day. Is this normal? I use pampers newborn diapers and change them only once they are completely wet. The baby is on a combination of breastfeed and formula feed. Thanks in advance.

Expert:  Dr. Saptharishi L G replied 3 Days.

Dear parent,
6-7 diapers per day would be considered normal for an infant. The best feeding modality would be complete breastfeeding, if that is feasible. Anything other than that is likely to be one step inferior.
Apart from that, using diapers does not lead to any complications, if used appropriately. Diapers have to be checked for any soiling frequently so that urine or feces does not remain in contact with skin for too long. This can prevent diaper rash.
Do feel free to write back with any queries.
Dr Saptharishi

Dr. Saptharishi L G
Senior Residency: DM,  Pediatric Critical Care, PGIMER

Residency: MD, Pediatrics, Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, 2013

Internship: JIPMER, 2009

Medical School: MBBS, Jawaharlal Institute of Post-graduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER), Puducherry, 2008