Cause for tightness, discomfort in upper abdomen.

Hello. I have been having a sort of tightness and overall discomfort in my upper abdomin. There has been some slight sharper pains but nothing bad at all. Everything besides this seems to be normal but the discomfort has been ongoing for about a week now. I first noticed it when one night I woke up and had sharp pain in my upper abdominal which did not last very long. I wasn't sure if this was something that would pass but after about a week I am getting concerned about it.

Before we explore what could be potential reasons for your upper abdomen discomfort which shows up as sharp pains intermittently kindly include your age, gender and weight in your reply.
Do these pains occur only at night or during the day as well?
How long does it last for once it comes?
Are you on any medications currently? Do you have any significant medical history we should be aware of?
Have you changed anything in your routine this week? for example intensive excercise?

I am a 19 year old male and I weigh 197 lbs. I would consider myself for and I go to the gym almost every day.
The pains seem to be gone at night but pretty much stick around all day. It started after one night I woke up and felt a sharper pain that lasted for about 10 minutes. I wasn't sure if I should think much of it but at this point the discomfort seems to stick around for most of the day.
I haven't had any significant medical history and none that really pertains to this issue.
Ans I have not noticed much of a change in my daily activity besides eating slitghtly less but that was something that I've just been doing over time. Not as a result of loss of appetite more of a convenience thing.

A discomfort and pain in the upper abdomen could be due to a lot of reasons.
Since you are active in the gym, there is a good possibility that the pain could be due to a muscular related spasm.
However it just won't disappear in the night time.
It could also be an ulcer related pain, or could be due to gall stones.
I will advise an ultrasound whole abdomen for you as soon as possible. It could just be acute gastritis, but it is always better to be on the safer side. The commonest cause of such discomfort is gastritis. But still an ultrasound will be prudent. Other possibilities such as hepatomegaly or hepatitis can be ruled out, since there is no change in appetite, or there are no other symptoms.
Once you get the ultrasound done kindlyupload the reports, and i will guide you based on that.