Child with cough and fever at the end of a cold

My son is 2. He had a cold over the holidays. He has mostly recovered from that. He has minimal cough, mostly to clear his throat from drainage. This afternoon, he got a low grade fever. It was around 100.5. I gave him Advil and it came back down and he began behaving "normal." Prior to that he was clingy in our laps, but not fussy and complaining about anything. He still has the cough, but again, mostly to clear his throat. I am get concerned because I have always read it is a time to worry when they get a fever towards the end of a cold - pneumonia, etc. When should I be concerned and take him to be seen? I get overly concerned about the flu, pneumonia, or anything that needs to be treated very early in someone so young.

A fever following cold or flu is not always pneumonia. Well pneumonia can occur like in that fashion but it is not always a rule. As of now you can watch for some warning signs for pneumonia / lower respiratory tract infections :

1. Progressing and persisting fever for 24 hours or more from now
2. Increased breathing rate - persistently more than 40 breaths per minute
3. Severe chest indrawing, troubled breathing
4. Lethargy

If any of these symptoms are there get medical help as early as possible. If there is only mild fever responding to medications and if it is not persisting then there is nothing much to worry. The fever, in that case is mostly part of the flu.

Feel free to ask followups