COLD and troat pain made worse by SMOKING. CANCER?

Hi I have been smoking for the last 4 years.
I am 27 years old patientold.

Last week I cought a cold and my smoking made it worse.

However, I would cut down on the smoking only temporarily.

Currently, if I smoke my throat starts hurting. I also start feeling that something is stuck there.
If I don't smoke for a few hours it goes away.

Could this be cancer ?

Category: ENT Specialist

Expert:  Dr. Sunil Jalan replied 4 Days.

Thank you for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com
I can understand your problem.
You are smoking for 4 years, now you are suffering from cold and throat irritation and intermittent throat foreign body sensation and you are worried about throat cancer.
Based from you symptoms I want to reassure that you are not suffering from any cancer as your symptoms are not persistent and it improves if doesn’t smoke for some time. Usually symptoms of cancer are persistent and progressive.
But in very young age it self you have symptoms of smoking, it’s a clear signal that you should quit smoking. I am happy to know that you are planning to cut down smoking because smoking doesn’t cause only cancer it effects all the organs of body and causes many diseases.
Now present episode may be combination of cold(upper respiratory tract infection) and acid reflux (GERD) due to smoking and irritation due to smoke.
I will suggest you to quit smoking. Start following medication:
Pantoprazole 40 mg once in morning for 2 weeks
Levocetrizine 5 mg in once in night for one week, this is antiallergic medication will help in cold and throat irritation.
If there is no symptomatic improvement with medication than detailed evaluation can be done including Chest X-ray and laryngoscopy (endoscopic examination of throat)
Hope this helps,

Best regards

Dr. Sunil Jalan
MBBS, DLO,MS(CMC,VELLORE)DNB(ENT),DAA,MBA(HM)

Dr. Sunil Jalan
DAA (Diploma in asthma and allergy) : Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2012
D.N.B (ENT), 2011
Residency - M.S. (Master post graduate degree in otorhinolaryngology),  Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2009
D.L.O. (Diploma in otorhinolaryngology) - Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2007
Medical School - M.B.B.S, S.P. Medical college, Bikaner, 2004