Could cramps be sign of pregnancy after sex?

12 days ago my partner and I had sex. He used the withdrawal method, and some got close to my vaginal area but none was inside me, as far as I can tell. This happened on a Sunday and I got my period on Wednesday, but it was lighter than normal and did not last very long. I take the mini pill and have been traveling, so I didn't take it at the proper time, but I did take it each day. I had unexplained cramps 8 or 9 days later so I took a pregnancy test and it was negative. However, I am worried the test was too early. The cramps could be a sign of pregnancy and I am extremely worried. My question is whether I could have conceived that close to my period, and how damaging taking the mini pill each day but outside the 3 hour window is.

Thanks for your query at DoctorSpring.com
Well, having sex just 3 days before your period rarely results in a pregnancy, because you are not at all likely to be ovulating then, my opinion would be that you could not have conceived then.
Secondly, taking it outside the 3 day window would reduce its efficacy, but not totally, it is not possible to say in percentages how much the efficacy would be reduced.
Then again the withdrawal method was used.
All said and done, it is not possible for you to have gotten pregnant 12 days back.
On the mini pill, you often have a period that is lighter than average, also cramps often occur.
If you wish to be very sure, please take a repeat test after a week.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.

So the pregnancy test I took 8 or 9 days afterwards was probably not late enough to tell?

Yes, atleast a fortnight has to elapse, to have a reliable test.