Diabetes and Alcohol

I have type two diabetes. My blood glucose level is usually around the normal limit. I used to drink every weekend before I was diagnosed with diabetes. Ever since I was diagnosed, I have stayed away from drinking. Now I want to know if it is safe to drink.

Hi
Alcohol consumption by diabetics is often dangerous. But if you drink responsibly then it is not as dangerous given your condition. Alchol consumption with diabetics haavin the following conditions is considered verydangerous:
• Nerve damage in the arms or legs.
• Diabetic eye disease.
• High blood pressure.
• High levels of triglycerides.
This is because alcohol can elevate these problems and cause complications. Alchol consumption can lead to low blood sugar in diabetics leading to severe complications. So if you are having drinks try to minimize to no more than three.

MBBS - Govt. Medical College, Kottyama MD - Stanley Medical College, Chennai