Donor on marijuana for bone marrow transplant

If I am a match to donate my bone marrow to someone, would my marijuana use be a factor in deciding whether I am a good candidate for the transplant? I assume the individual has to be in good general health, but I do not see how marijuana would affect the bone marrow.

Thank you for using ask a doctors service from doctors spring. I will answer your queries to the best possible. That is wonderful that you are considering donating your bone marrow. Let me throw some light on bone marrow transplantation so you can understand better.

Bone marrow is the center of the bone, which produces RBCs. Now; there are different types of bone marrow transplant mainly

a) Autologous bone marrow transplantation: the patients own marrow is harvested after intensive therapy.

b) Syngeneic bone marrow transplantation: from identical twin donor.

c) Allogeneic bone marrow transplantation: from non identical twins.

Methods of transplantation: the recipient is treated with chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Healthy marrow from donor is injected intravenously into the patient, which then produces erythrocytes, granulocytes and platelets (3- 4 weeks). In order to perform the transplantation, you need to undergo a series of screening tests like HLA typing which checks the compact ability of the donor s and recipient tissue, complete blood tests, blood grouping and typing, chest x ray, ECG. Donor should also be free of any infections like hepatitis, HIV, CMV, Herpes Zoster.

Use of substances like marijuana doesn't affect the outcome of your match as a donor as it has no bearing on the bone marrow cell production. I would suggest you to consult your doctor to undergo the screening tests.

Hope this helps, if you have any further queries on the same, do send me a mail.