Upper Respiratory Tract Infection.

Hello:

My 16 week old baby recently had to have some lab work done for entrance into daycare. We received the results today, however will not be able to see his pediatrician for 2 weeks. Could you take a look at his lab results and let us know if there are any concerns we may want to bring up with his pediatrician at his next appointment?

I should note that he is currently on levothyroxine treatment for Congenital Hypothyroidism.

The blood test results shows mild anaemia, bit raised lymphocyte fraction in the blood. Mild anaemia can be a occur in infants of this age group. The lymphocyte predominance could indicate a mild viral infection (like a flu or upper respiratory tract infection)

The urine routine shows 'bacteria' which is actually a non specific finding as this could be easily (and most likely from contamination).

I would like to know some more details so that I can clinically co relate the results. Is your baby currently having any symptoms - such as fever, rash, cough, running nose etc? Does the baby cry (or show some uneasiness while passing urine) ? Does she/he cry all of a sudden without a reason ?

You can reply as a followup

Thank you for your response.

No, the baby does not currently have any symptoms of infection, just a mild rash of small red bumps near his mouth. He does not seem to show discomfort while passing urine and has not been fussy.

Would you recommend I try to see his pediatrician sooner than our scheduled two week appointment?

The next logical step would be to repeat the investigation (especially the urine routine) and possibly do an urine culture. Urinary tract infections has to be 100% ruled out in infants as it can lead on to complications.

But as I said this is more likely to be contamination as there are no symptoms. If the baby is doing well you can wait for a week or two. But in case if you get an earlier appointment it is good. (as in Not urgent, but if an early consult is possible then you can go for it).

On repeat testing the WBC s should come to normal. Hb is bit low, so Iron supplementation has to be considered.

Feel free to ask followups