Anxiety, dizziness, palpitations with IBS symptoms. Cause?

My name is Meshal from Kuwait. My problem started approximately 5 years old patientago when the IBS symptoms began. I went to many doctors here in Kuwait and ran so many tests, but the result always was I have IBS. The reason that I'm reaching for your opinion that I have realy bad non-GI symptoms that almost shutdown my daily life. I'm suffering from anxiety, dizziness, palpitations, my heart skips a beat, bloating, panic attacks, shivering and cold hands, but the most annoying and frightening symptom is the the heart palpitations and skipping beats. I've ran an ECG test and even cardiac enzyme test and it turned fine. However, the panic attacks and anxiety are getting worse and I'm starting to get depressed. I've seen a family doctor here and he said all of those symptoms were due to the main problem which is the IBS, and he prescribed for me Dogamatil but when I read the side effects of that drug I didn take it. I need your opinion at my matter, and should mention that I don drink but I do smoke 20 cig. Per day.

Thanks for your patience
Meshal

Category: Gastroenterologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 4 Days.

Thank you for your query at DoctorSpring.com.
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.
I would like to have some more details before I can give my opinion.
1. What are the GI symptoms you have which led to the diagnosis of IBS? 2. What are all the tests done so far? 3. Your age, sex and profession?

Kindly get back to me with this information and I would be glad to give my opinion.
Regards, Dr.R.K.

Thanks for the response. 1- Several symptoms: constipation and diarrhea frequently, abdominal bloating, excessive gases, bawl sensitivity against certain food. But it's not the common IBS syndromes that bothering me its the non-GI symptoms. Also I've done endoscopy and the results were normal. 2- I'm 27 yrs / male / Microbiologist (laboratory). 3- tests done: CBC, Full biochemistry test, cardiac enzymes, cardiac sonar (valves checking), pulmonary tests, dozens of X-rays, Thyroid tests, ECG, and all of which were normal. 3- I should mention that i was 138 kg and I underwent a diet and lost 43 kg within 9 months.

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 3 Days.

Hello Meshal,
Thanks for the additional information.
The non GI symptoms are not due to IBS. But they are related.
IBS is a functional GI disorder. Anxiety and panic attacks may worsen the symptoms of IBS and not the otherway round.
Since all the tests were normal and heart issues were ruled out I would advise you to consult a psychiatrist to treat your anxiety and panic disorder. I feel this will really be helpful for you.
I hope that answers your question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.R.K.

Dr. Ratnakar Kini
Fellowship - DM - TN Dr.MGR Medical UniversityResidency - TN Dr.MGR Medical University Medical School - Stanely Medical College, TN Dr.MGR Medical University