Effect of ST JHONS WORT on LEXAPRO for depression.

Hi I've been taking lexapro for 2years and I just took st jhons wort this afternoon and I just read I shouldn't be? Is taking only one going to effect me?

Category: Psychiatrist

Expert:  Dr. Srikanth Reddy replied 4 Days.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
Lexapro is a good drug for depression and anxiety and st jhons Wort is also a popular home remedy for depression. Both of them act by increasing serotonine.
If taken together there is a risk of increased serotonine in the brain leading to anxiety, tremors, restlessness, irritability, nausea, vomiting, dizziness and occasionally altered sensorium. This is also called as serotonine syndrome but let me tell you that this is not very common.
Most likely you will not have any issuee with a single use and if you cross 8 hours without any side effect then there is nothing to worry there after. Until then keep a watch over your health. Drink plenty of water and take some rest.
Hope this helps,
In case you need to know anything more do let me know.

Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD

Hi I'm getting a lot of stomach pains and cramping is that to do with this?

Expert:  Dr. Srikanth Reddy replied 3 Days.

Yes it could be due to the drug interaction but nothing to panic. Things will settle down on its own . In case if the symptoms trouble you a lot, do visit the ER. But as i said most of the symptoms are self remitting.
Thanks and regards

Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD

Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Doctor of Medicine (MD), Psychiatry Residency Program,2001 – 2012
M.B.B.S,Mahatma Gandhi Institute Of Medical Sciences, Sevagram

Certificate Course in sex Therapy and Counselling, Sexology and Counselling, A
Sexology,Medikon Sexual Sciences, Mumbai

Training in Advanced Neurology at a leading corporate hospital (CARE hospital) in Hyderabad

Child Psychiatry Training in National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences, Bangalore

Sex Therapy and Counsellingat MEDIKON Sexual Sciences, Mumbai.