Effects of FENNEL SEEDS on antibiotic XIFAXAN.

Fennel Seeds and Xifaxan (Rifaximin)

My question pertains to the simultaneous usage of fennel seeds and the antibiotic Xifaxan. Some background: I have been suffering from relatively problematic bloating (makes me look about 4 months pregnant as a male) for around the past 2 years. I have had many tests done and the doctors have basically settled on IBS. In between my last test and the beginning of my antibiotic treatment I began taking 1/2 a teaspoon of Fennel Seeds after each meal as a sort of desperate attempt at homeopathic treatment. I began taking the antibiotics, but also continued with the fennel seeds to try to help with the bloating. However, I read today that fennel was shown in a study to interact with Ciprofloxacin (A Fluoroquinolone Antibiotic); specifically, that fennel may inhibit the absorption of the antibiotic. According to a Wikipedia page Xifaxan is not a Fluoroquinolone Antibiotic, but I am still worried I may have ruined two weeks of treatment by using fennel at the same time. Any professional insight would be greatly appreciated,

Thank You.

Category: Gastroenterologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 4 Days.

I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.
No , Fennel seeds do not interact with rifaximin.
In fact, the interaction between fennel seeds and ciprofloxacin itself is not a confirmed one.
So there is no need to worry that you have taken fennel seeds along with rifaximin and that fennel seeds would have affected the absorption of rifaximin.
I hope that answers your question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.R.K.

Dr. Ratnakar Kini
Fellowship - DM - TN Dr.MGR Medical UniversityResidency - TN Dr.MGR Medical University Medical School - Stanely Medical College, TN Dr.MGR Medical University