A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Erectile Dysfunction

Resolved Question:

I'm an alcohol addict from the past 8 years .When I try to have sex with my wife,I keep losing my erection these days.This is bothering us and disturbing our relationship,after5 years of married life.

Category: Sexologist

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
Dr. John Monheit is online now

Expert:  Dr. John Monheit replied 4 Days.

It is usual for a young man to have a psychological erectile dysfunction rather than a physical cause. In your case chronic alcohol addiction seems to be the culprit. In a recent study, it was analyzed that 60% of chronicalcoholic men are likely to suffer from sexual dysfunction. Chronic and excessive intake of alcohol may notably affect the Nervous system and organs like Liver, Pancreas etc. This results in memory disturbances, concentrating abilities and all other symptoms related to Autonomic nervous system , leading to decreased Libido.

During an erection, the penis is filled with blood and the valves are closed to prevent the backflow .This contributes to the erect stature of penis. Excessive alcohol consumption over months, damages the valves in the blood vessels leading to retrograde (backflow) flow of blood. This is expressed as inability to maintain erection for a long time. Alcohol addiction over years leads to atherosclerosis, a condition where there is accumulation of fatty materials like cholesterol in the walls of the blood vessels, leading to decreased filling( because of narrowed vessels). This again results in difficulty maintaining erection.

I would like to recommend you the following:

1) A general physical assessment along with hormonal and nutritional status

2) Liver function tests.

3) Try to Taper the consumption of alcohol to as little as possible and avoid its consumption before and after sex.

4) Take Vitamin supplements like Vi B 12,as alcoholics are deficient in B 12 because of decreased absorption.

5) As this condition is always associated with part of psychological stress, psychosexual counseling for you and your partner would be of great help.

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Make informed and better medical decisions.

We believe that getting medical questions answered and getting qualified opinions from certified Doctors should be easier.

Specialists from
UK, US, Ind,
Aus & NZ

48000+ consults
in 2015

98.1% Satisfied

100% Satisfaction

How it works

  • Submit question, upload files, if any
  • Consult is assigned to a specialist
  • Doctor replies, Mean response time: 2 hours
  • Intimation by email, ask follow-ups

Recommendations based on

About DoctorSpring.com

Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in News


Make informed and better medical decisions.

Close x

Your account has been deleted.

PS: You can unsubscribe from emails from DoctorSpring, by going to
Unsubscribe link provided in them.