Fibroadenosis.

I am a 32yr old female. Two days ago I had soreness on the right side of my body from the bottom of my armpit to the lower part of my breast. (I thought it was soreness from strength training from earlier that day) However, when I touched the area I ended up finding a large lump in my breast. The entire right breast looks enlarged. (nearly 1.5 times the size of the left now) The area has no rash and no redness. I also have no fever and the area is not warm.

The lump feels as if there is a small lump on top of a larger one. It does not move much when you touch it. The area has continued to be sore. There is no indentation on the breast, no puss or blood coming from the nipple area. Although the nipple area has been itchy.

I have no history of breast cancer myself or in my family. I have also never had a cyst or infection in the breasts. I have no children and am not currently pregnant. I also have no nipple piercings. I am fit and in overall good health. I am not currently taking any medications.

Although I have tried to do some initial research myself, I cannot find any diagnosis that seems to match all of my symptoms. I would like to know (1) in your opinion what this sounds like (2) how urgently I should get this examined.

Thank you,
Mandi

Category: General Surgeon

Expert:  Dr. Hari Charan Perigela replied 4 Days.

Thank you for posting in Doctor spring. Com.
As per your description, it looks like Fibroadenosis. But, cancer has to be ruled out as you do not have children.
Initially, get an Ultrasound or Mammogram of the breast.You will get an idea about the swellings, extent and nature of the swellings.
Next test is FNAC (Fine needle aspiration cytology), which confirms whether the swelling is Cancerous or not.
These two tests will confirm the diagnosis.
Please get them done as early as possible.
If you come back with above reports, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela
Fellowship: DNB, General Surgery, National Board of Examinations, New Delhi, 2001
Residency: MS, General Surgery, Sri Venkateswara Medical College,Tirupathi, 2000
Medical School: MBBS, Kurnool Medical college, 1995