Had fractured calcaneum 3 months back, recently fell and when I bend my toes sends shooting pain up my foot.

Hi, I fractured my calcanius (heel) bone over 3 months ago. I was no weight bearing on crutches for over two months. I have been pressure bearing for the past month. In a walking but for 1 1/2 weeks and then switched to a tennis shoe. As of this last week I have been trying to walk with a cane instead of the crutches. However, I recently, 3 days ago; fell down while walking and I believe i just bent my toes back some. It does not feel as if anything is broke in my opinion. Nothing has swelled. Yet, my toes and the ball of my foot have been throbbing. If i bend my toes or curl them in a certain way, particularly when I am trying to walk it sends pain shooting up my foot. Yet my foot in normal position I can put full weight on it and it does not hurt. In addition to that the tendon right behind my ankle has begun to feel pulled and hurts tremendously as well. I do not know what I should do. I have tried both ice and heat and neither seem very effective.

Hello, Thank you for asking your query at DoctorSpring.

Its very unfortunate you have succumbed to so much trauma at once. From your symptoms it appears you have fractured your toe.

Firstly, I would like to specify that your bones appear weak, it could be due to calcium deficiency mainly. I suggest you take in calcium supplements like calcium tablets available over the counter. Your toe needs rest and immobility, you need a cast or band aid immediately.

Your calcaneum having been fractured 3 months back, is still healing. It takes time for the fractured, displaced bones to align themselves ang get joined. After they have joined it takes time for the stability to be achieved. I suggest you avoid using that leg very often. You need to take X-Ray ankle lateral view, by this you will know how many toes are fractured and to what extent the bones are displaced.

Consult a orthopedician for the cast. Take calcium supplements once everyday.try not applyingtoo much pressure on that leg.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask follow-up questions