Headache and sickness after vertigo attack.

Doctor,

I am a 32 years old male in normal health. This is to clarify my doubts about some of my health issues. I am a non-smoker and office worker. I had an attack of vertigo which lasted for about half a minute, 7 weeks ago. After this attack, it seems I am completely lost. I felt severe headaches surrounding my head. It was felt at the left and right of my forehead, upper and lower ear areas and overall area of my head. I have been suffering from it for some days. Sometimes it occurs at morning or at evening or throughout the day. I am able to get some sleep and am able to take breakfasts. I have to use two pillows behind my head to get a not-so disturbed sleep. There found a small bone lump at the right lower side of my head. It is not so noticeable but can be identified when felt with fingers. This is more noticeable only while lying on bed. My eyesight is almost perfect but I see a lot of floaters while I look at objects in low light. Objects seem to have some halo effect outlining them.  I took some blood tests done and everything seems perfect. As of now, the only symptom I have is with my nipples. They are hurt when pressed or knocked. Stools seem to be loose and normal at times. I think this is due to the varieties of food I take and due to changing work habits. I am worried that these all happened after my vertigo attack and nothing else. Please help me out of this. Thank you.

Thank you for using Ask a Doctor Services from Doctor Spring.

From the symptoms you have mentioned you could be affected by viral labyrinthis which is a viral infection the inner ear. Symptoms of a viral labyrinthitis or viral vestibular neuritis can last anything from a few days to several weeks. A typical case is for symptoms to be bad for 2-3 weeks, and then gradually to settle down over several days. There may be some slight unsteadiness for 2-3 months before symptoms clear completely. However, in some people, symptoms can persist for months or years. In these cases, the viral infection will have gone but the inflammation and damage caused by the infection may cause persisting symptoms. The bony lump could be a swollen lymph node which usually occurs in middle ear or inner ear infection. So I would advise you to consult with an ENT surgeon, who will evaluate the inner ear by certain balance test and X-ray of head.

There are various reasons for which you could have had floaters in eyes. Some conditions like retinal detachment or a retinal tear or cystoid macular oedema or it could even be due to side effects of some drugs. So I would suggest you to consult with an Ophthalmologist to examine your eye to identify the cause for floaters and halos.

You could wait for couple of weeks for the symptoms to improve, if not then take appointment with ENT doctor and Ophthalmologist to evaluate you further.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask if you need further help.