Headache with a swimmy head

I just got over the flu during Christmas. Two weeks before I got it I started feeling very intense hot flushes and night sweats. My doctor says its not my fsh that it out of balance of whatever. I experienced intense violent coughing, a 101.4 fever, no chills, those hot spells, maybe a swimmy head. I am all clear now, though at the end of the flu, it had turned into a cold or sinus infection. I had facial pain and a headache. I woke up with the headache 2 days ago and today I am swimmy headed. Is there an incubation period for the flu? or rather was the hot flushes the onset of the flu? Today I am fine, is it also possible to still have a sinus infection and not know it? Im not having any symptoms of it, as it seems. What are some possibilities that could cause my swimmy head after having the flu?

I am prediabetic, have hypothyroidism, gerd, and fatty liver disease (non alcholic). I am taking Effexor xr but I am positive I have taken it everyday this last week. So I know its not that.
Thanks!

What you had around the Christmas was probably not just Flu. It is most likely a virus causing Upper Respiratory tract infection. A cold and flu will not cause that sever a cough. The viral infection has got an incubation period and yes you are right it matches with the onset of hot flashes. It is very difficult to say what kind of virus this is, but since your symptoms are resolving there is no need for any testing.

The hot flashes could be due to the immune reaction your body come up with to fight off the virus. But honestly it is very difficult to say for sure. But my best guess would be this.

What you are experiencing is a post viral fatigue which is know to cause swimmy head / light headiness etc. This is common following a viral infection and can last upto few weeks. But most individuals will recover in few days. If possible take moderate rest (avoid strenuous exercise ). But you SHOULD stay active. You can work / go out etc. Stay hydrated too.

If the hot flashes persist and if you are on Thyroxin medication, consider checking the Thyroid function as excess medication rarely can caused flashes.

Feel free to ask followups.

About how long does the viral fatigue last? Days, months?

Typically a week. (varies with different types of virus ). It can last upto months , but that is more of an exception than a rule. If you have sever or persisting symptoms you should review with your Doctor.