Headpain, face gets reddish after taking ALCOHOL.

when ever i have alcohol from last 15 days my face gets reddish and my head strats paining what must be the reason i am having alcohol fom last 15 years but never such thing had happen before i had a batiric sleevs surgery in 2011 my weight was 225 before the surgery and now its 150kgs i am in process of loosing weight

Category: Gastroenterologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 4 Days.

I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.
What you experience is flushing in your face. This occurs when there is an increased blood flow. Alcohol is known to dilate the blood vessels increasing the blood flow causing these symptoms you have mentioned.
Exaggerated reaction could occur due to allergy.
You have probably developed an allergy to one of the ingredients of the alcohol product that you consume. This could be either the grains or the preservatives used. Sometimes if you take certain medications while drinking alcohol you develop this kind of reactions. This includes medications like metronidazole.
If it is recurrent, then you may have to rule out conditions like Hodgkin's lymphoma also.
I hope that answers your question.
Let me know if I can assist you further,
Dr.R.K.

i am alopress l & triptomer 10mg does these contain metronidazole & i am have a ayurvedic medicin which is known as lkc the ingrediends are as follows Bhumyamalaki (Phyllanthus Niruri),Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa),Katuki (Picrarhiza kurroa) does these also effect

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 3 Days.

No, these medications do not contain metronidazole and they also do not cause the symptoms you have mentioned.
So it could be due to the other causes I have mentioned in my first post.
Dr.R.K

so i can have wishkey which do not have grains which are gulten free ?

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 2 Days.

It is not only the grains that causes the allergy, but also other ingredients including certain chemicals like histamine and the preservatives used.
If you are allergic to gluten only then you can have 'gluten free' drink..
But if you develop allergy to other ingredients, then better to avoid all types of alcohol.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.R.K.

Dr. Ratnakar Kini
Fellowship - DM - TN Dr.MGR Medical UniversityResidency - TN Dr.MGR Medical University Medical School - Stanely Medical College, TN Dr.MGR Medical University