How long will there be blood in urine In CYSTITIS?Antibiotics.

I resently went yo the emergency room because of blood in my urine. I was diagnosed with cystitis and I got prescribed anitibiotocs. I would like to know how long until I stop having blood in my urine?

Hello. Thank you for your query at DoctorSpring.com. I understand your concern. The blood in urine should stop in 2-3 days. If it persists even after 3 days along with other symptoms of Cystitis such as pain, burning during urination etc(if you had them), then it might indicate that the antibiotics are ineffective. In such a case, a different antibiotic has to be started. I would like some additional details to understand your case better. -How many days has it been since you started the antibiotic? -What is the antibiotic you are on? -Apart from the blood in urine, what were your other symptoms before a diagnosis of cystitis was made? -Have all of those symptoms resolved now? Please reply as a follow up. Thank you.

I started nitrofurantoins macrocrstl and phenazopyridine on Wednesday night. My symptoms where and still are blood in urune same as the first day still, I didnt not nor do I have burning now, I have discomfort/pain on my lower back to mid back it is like a burning stabbing sensation at that time i went to the doctor I had lower abdominal pain like shocking feeling on the left side. None of the symptoms have resolved other then the lower abdominal pain. My urine in blood started Wednesday at around 1:00pm and has not stopped. I just want to know if should be concern and return to the ER ?

Hello. Thanks for writing to us again.
You have been prescribed the correct antibiotics. So considering you are taking your medicines properly the infection should have been controlled by now. I hope you have been drinking adequate water, because if you are not, there still can be minor amount of bleeding, since the urine turns very acidic in infections such as UTI/Cystitis.
I need some more details. On what basis was your diagnosis made? Can you please upload your reports? Did they do an urine culture? It is better to go and consult an urologist, because these kind of infections always run the risk of moving up the tract and can infect kidneys. Then the recovery will take long time.
Kindly upload your reports and if possible consult an urologist, because by now your hematuria should have definitely stopped.
Take care,