How to filter UNREALISTIC thinking with OCD?

hi. Now I got the counsel of OCD.
especially I have the ocd for the my body health.
sometimes while eating in restaurant, I think unrealistic situation what if they put something which is not good for health.
I know it is very unrealistic. So I try to find out the scientic back data for filtering my unrealistic thinking. do you think is there any food materials or materials that could give me the fatal body effect after time flows only after small eating. (not posion. )
such as Bovine spongiform encephalopathy, not well know now but could happen from food.
pls. advice me this kinds of thinking is very unrealistic. Thx.

Category: Psychiatrist

Expert:  Dr. Srikanth Reddy replied 4 Days.

Thank you for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
From what you have stated it appears that you could be having an OCD. OCD is a very common illness and effects many.
There may be a rarest of the rare chance of something that bizzare to happen. And even practically thinking, you also know that the thought are very unrealistically. All you need is a proper control of the thoughts. It can be mild and some times unrecognizable and sometimes it can be severe. You certainly need to be treated for OCD. Although there are plenty of options available like clonil, fluoxetine, escitalopram, fluvoxamine, sertraline etc my best option for my patients is fluoxetine in higher dosages.
Also there is an option of cognitive behavioural therapy. This therapy is taken by either a psychologist or a psychiatrist in which the therapist identifies impaired cognitions (Thoughts) and try to correct them. They are 15-20 min weekly session and there should be around 8-10 sessions to help you with your illness.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, do let me know.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD

Thanks for giving me the precious advice. Now I have gotten the treatment of OCD.
Sorry to ask again, I want to know that is there no such food materials or other materilas that could give me the fatal body effect (such as as Bovine spongiform encephalopathy )after eating one or two times. (food born diesea, not poison) I sometimes guess that is there any not well known substance that could give me the fatal body effect (internal body organs problem or cell..etc...) .
is there no such unreal substance??? Sorry to ask odd things.. If I know that there is no such unreal and odd substance. I could have more peaceful mind. Thanks in advance.

Expert:  Dr. Srikanth Reddy replied 3 Days.

If you rule out the option of posions, then there is no real food material ( or a food borne disease) that can lead to a fatal body effect.
In my 14 years old patientof association with medical sciences in the developing countries where infectious disease abound, I have never witnessed such an event.
I hope this will rest your concerns to some extent.
However I would still request you to seek proper treatment for OCD as that will reduce your distress a lot. Your current treatment seems to be not working very well.
Let me know if I can assist you any further.
Thanks.

Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Doctor of Medicine (MD), Psychiatry Residency Program,2001 – 2012
M.B.B.S,Mahatma Gandhi Institute Of Medical Sciences, Sevagram

Certificate Course in sex Therapy and Counselling, Sexology and Counselling, A
Sexology,Medikon Sexual Sciences, Mumbai

Training in Advanced Neurology at a leading corporate hospital (CARE hospital) in Hyderabad

Child Psychiatry Training in National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences, Bangalore

Sex Therapy and Counsellingat MEDIKON Sexual Sciences, Mumbai.