Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

How to know whether I am contracted with genital herpes?

Resolved Question:

Hello doctor, I am a 19 years old female. I am sexually active with my only boyfriend. Now-a-days, I fear the most that I am affected with genital herpes. I suspect that my boyfriend has got genital herpes and passed it to me. He performed an oral sex with me the last night. Today when I woke up, I noticed several cold sores. I have soreness there and have got small red and blister like spots. But I am sure that he hasn’t got any sores like this yesterday. I used to be careful with things like this. But I am very much disturbed that he might have given this to me. Because of his stubble, I have got sensitivity in the region and I asked him to stop. However, I noticed this after applying Veet hair remover cream, to remove hair from my ‘that’ area. Can it be due to a reaction from the cream as I may have left it for long time? I used to apply veet for removing hair, without any side effects. What could be the cause of my problem? Please help.

Category: Community

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
 32 Doctors Online

Thanks for your question and concern. But it is difficult to say whether you are contracted with herpes virus or not. It is possible that you may have contracted with it, as you have done oral sex with your partner. You can get affected with herpes type 1 virus, if you have oral sex with an affected person. This is because herpes type 1 virus is transmitted mainly through saliva and affects mouth and related mucous membranes. It is common that affected people may not recognize themselves to be carriers of the infection and transmit the infection to others who have sex with them. This is because, HSV infection can stay dormant in some people without causing any outbreak or visible appearance. Anyway, a doctor can easily recognize a herpes blister from allergic blisters through a simple physical examination. You can also go for lab tests to find out infection. However there is no medical cure available for genital herpes. But there are certain antiviral medicines available like acyclovir, to treat sores and blisters relieving pain. They can relieve the severity of infection to certain extend. Hope my answer helps. Take care.

Dr. Cecelia J. Russ
Category: Family Physician-GP
- Medical School - New York Institute of Technology, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Duke University Medical Center, Residency in Family Medicine
Dr. Cecelia J. Russ and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news