Husband with epididymitis and its cause

My husband has been diagnosed with Epiditimytis. I would like to know what are the causes of this? How can one contract it.

Epididymitis simply put is an infection of the Epididymis. This is a curved on the top of testes where semen is stored. This can get inflamed because of infectious or non-infectious causes. It can be acute or chronic. Chronic being more common in older men. There an entity called non-infectious epididymitis, where the cause is not bacteria at all.

I assume that your main concern is how someone can contract it or is it a STD – Sexually transmitted disease ?. (Kindly pardon me is this assumption is wrong).
Well a diagnosis of Epididmytis does not mean that it is contacted by sexual means. Epididymitis is the most common cause of scrotal pain in adults in the outpatient setting, accounting for 600,000 cases per year in the United States. And in most of the case the mode of transmission is not sexual, especially in adults. Sure, it can be transmitted sexually also. But it can also occur just like Urinary tract infection or chest infection ! Noninfectious epididymitis is generally a chronic condition. It can be precipitated by trauma, autoimmune disease, or vasculitis.
However, no etiology is found in many cases.

Hope this clarifies.
If you have any specific queries please free to ask . I will be happy to answer.