I am 34 weeks pregnant, vaginal infection for about 3 months.

I have had a vaginal infection for about 3 months. Antibiotics and yogurt have done little to nothing to help. This infection has been giving me headaches, raising my blood pressure and making me sick to my stomach. I am 34 weeks pregnant, if this does not go away by the time the baby is due will I have to have the baby by C-section?

Hello, Thank you for asking your query at DoctorSpring.

Any infection of vagina during pregnancy is not good and its important you get it treated before delivery. As there are chances of preterm birth, premature rupture of membranes and chances the baby will also get the infection.

Yes, there are high chances you will likely have to go for C-section if you have vaginal infection during labour. Here are few tips you can follow:

1. Try keeping your vaginal area dry and never wet. Always change after you work out.
  2. Avoid wearing any tight clothes and always wear clothes which will allow air to circulate, cotton is the best.
  3. Drink a lot of water.
  4. Have a lot of yogurt as it is a probiotic.

If you continue having infection after one week, apply antifungal agent like Diflucan and also take Metronidazole twice daily for 5 days.

If you continue to have the infection, I suggest you visit a gynaecologist.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask follow-up questions