Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Infection on abdomen, on CLINDAMYCIN. Should I see DERMATOLOGIST?

Resolved Question:

I have an infected lesion on my abdomen. To began about 4 days ago. I went to my primary yesterday who put me on clindamyocin 300 mg tid. It seems to be a little better this morning. But it rubs on. My clothes. It is very red and swollen. I am wondering if I should see a dermatologist or if I should just continue the antibiotics for a while. I also have a history of hindrentis supportiva . I haven't had a flare up in a long time.

Category: Dermatologist

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Cosmetic and Plastic Surgeon
 25 Doctors Online

Hello. Thanks for posting your query on
I can understand your concern.
You seem to have a punched out ulcer on your abdomen. You definitely need to visit a Dermatologist who will guide you regarding proper wound care and try to find out the cause for this ulcer.
Till you meet the Dermatologist, you can continue with the oral antibiotics.
Please let me know if you have any other queries.
Take care.

Patient replied :

My dr thinks it was started by an insect bite and was stratched and got infected. I do not see much improvement in the wound but it rubs on my clothes and is very annoying. How long should I wait until I see the dr if there is no improvements.


Thanks for your reply.

Once you complete 5 days of the antibiotic you are taking and still there is no improvement, it's time to see a dermatologist.

Thank you.

Patient replied :

I will send a follow up question and pictur. Can you tell me if this looks like it is healing or is the infection getting deepr


It seems better than before but it's still showing pus in the lesion which is not a good sign. You need to take one more course of oral antibiotic preferably after doing an antibiotic sensitivity on the pus.

Feel free to discuss further,

Patient replied :

do you think that is a mrsa. it is very painful to touch and I would like to know what antibiotics do you recommend here in the usa. I have an allergy to sulfa and I know that is what they would give. i started the clindamycin on thursday so it should be healing better than it is correct. do yo think this is a staph infection


It could be a staph infection, but the only way to confirm it by doing a test on the pus from the lesion. Also regarding the antibiotic, I would recommend amoxicillin and cloxacillin, but that also depends on the antibiotic sensitivity of the organism isolated.

Mrsa is not a clinical diagnosis but a laboratory diagnosis, can be confirmed only after testing.


Dr. Kruti Jobanputra Banodkar
Category: Cosmetic and Plastic Surgeon
Diploma in Dermatology - Royal College Of Physicians & Surgeons Of Glasgow, UK , 2010
Residency - DNB, Dermatology -  K.J Somaiya Hospital, Mumbai, 2009
Medical School & Internship - MBBS - Dr. D . Y . Patil Medical College, Mumbai, 2004
Dr. Kruti Jobanputra Banodkar and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news