Irregular ENDOMETRIUM, UTERINE CAVITY ADHESIONS. Serious?

I am female, 38 years. Started menopause around 6 years back. My last ultrasound report (June 2014) of complete abdomen with uterus was absolutely normal. Couple of days back ultrasound report shows as:

a) Shows evidence of focal dots of endometrial calcification. Endometrium is very irregular with possible endometrial / uterine cavity adhesions.

b) Both ovaries are small i size, partially atrophied, shows very poor follicular echopattern showing occasional small follicles of about 1 to 2.5 mm diameter.
- The oavries were small in size in last ultrasound report too.

c) Occasional soft non-obstructing concretions / sludge each measuring about 2.5 mm size seen in minor calcyces of both kedneys.

Got some urinary problem also. Goes for urination after every 45 mins - 60 mins.

Want to know, the intensity of seriousness in this report? One doctor suggested me to remove Uterus. Need your valuable opinion on it. Can these abnormalities be removed just be medication?

Category: Psychiatrist

Expert:  Dr. Srikanth Reddy replied 4 Days.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
From what you have stated it is quite clear that you are having a depressive episode. Depression can occur with regular stress and it can also occur biologically without any stress as well. You need proper treatment for the same. There are various effective therapies for depression like fluoxetine, venlafaxine, bupropion, mirtazapine or escitalopram and they are all very effective and mostly safe. You may also require some benzodiazepines like clonazepam or lorazepam for a short period like 2-3 weeks to reduce the anxiety and help with your sleep.
If you are averse to the drug therapies then there is also an option of cognitive behavioural therapy. This therapy is taken by either a psychologist or a psychiatrist in which the therapist identifies impaired cognitions (Thoughts) and try to correct them. They are 15-20 min weekly session and there should be around 8-10 sessions to help you with your illness.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD

Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Doctor of Medicine (MD), Psychiatry Residency Program,2001 – 2012
M.B.B.S,Mahatma Gandhi Institute Of Medical Sciences, Sevagram

Certificate Course in sex Therapy and Counselling, Sexology and Counselling, A
Sexology,Medikon Sexual Sciences, Mumbai

Training in Advanced Neurology at a leading corporate hospital (CARE hospital) in Hyderabad

Child Psychiatry Training in National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences, Bangalore

Sex Therapy and Counsellingat MEDIKON Sexual Sciences, Mumbai.