Is it dangerous to take MODAFINIL without medical reasons?

I have some modafinil which i have not yet taken, i purchased these tablets on line, however i noticed on the label it says warning only to be prescribed by a doctor or phsyciatrist, i do not suffer from sleep apnea and i do not have trouble sleeping i just wanted to enhance my performance, i just wanted to know if it is dangerous for me to take it without having the medical reasons to do so

Category: Psychiatrist

Expert:  Dr. Srikanth Reddy replied 4 Days.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
Modafinil is a stimulant and basically it causes release of stimulant neurotransmitter. However if taken regularly it can cause exhaustion and reduced performance over a period of time.
Moreover it has a potential of being an addictive drug. I see many patients who are addicted on modafinil who had used initially to improve the performance. The third reason of why not to take is if you have a genetic predisposition to be bipolar then the modafinil may precipitate a mania.
For all these reasons, its advisable not to use modafinil unless it is indicated medically.

Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD

Thanks for your response
I understand the addiction it can cause, but i was just looking at a very limited use, i just wanted to know if i used this drug one time, is it something that is lethal or can anybody take it one time, i dont suffer from any illness like heart conditions or mental illness.
regards
Ben

Expert:  Dr. Srikanth Reddy replied 3 Days.

If you take it one time, it wont do much harm to you, but be sure that this occasional experimentation should never lead to frequent experimentation.
You may take it if its only for one time.
Kind regards,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy

okay thanks you have answered all i need to know, actually just one more question if i take this, how long should i wait before drinking alcohol again once modafinil has been taken, could i take one in the morning and be able to drink alcohol at night

Expert:  Dr. Srikanth Reddy replied 2 Days.

Yes you can take alcohol in the evening after you have had your medicines in the morning.

Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Doctor of Medicine (MD), Psychiatry Residency Program,2001 – 2012
M.B.B.S,Mahatma Gandhi Institute Of Medical Sciences, Sevagram

Certificate Course in sex Therapy and Counselling, Sexology and Counselling, A
Sexology,Medikon Sexual Sciences, Mumbai

Training in Advanced Neurology at a leading corporate hospital (CARE hospital) in Hyderabad

Child Psychiatry Training in National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences, Bangalore

Sex Therapy and Counsellingat MEDIKON Sexual Sciences, Mumbai.