Viral infection.

I had unprotected sex on the 21st of January. I was ovulating on about the 25th. Found out I was pregnant on February. 8th. On January 28th I came home from work with nausea and upset stomach and this lasted about a day. I work in a school so took it as 24 hour flu. Is it possible this was related to the pregnancy? I don't think it was related to pregnancy but just wanted to ask.

Hello and thankyou for approaching DoctorSpring with your query.
I have gone through your case and understand your concern.
Your symptoms are unlikely to be related to pregnancy and seem to be due to a viral infection.
Please can you give me additional information so that I can give you an informed opinion.
1) Did you have any vomiting? Is the nausea feeling still persistent or did it subside soon after that?
2) Did you have any diarrhea or loose stools associated with it?
3) Did you have any fever?

Please can you reply as a follow up and I will advise you accordingly.
Thankyou

I had nausea for the morning and induced vomiting twice that morning. I felt better by the early afternoon. The nausea subsided that day. There was no diarrhea. There was no fever. I have had no nausea since then. I was thinking it may have been a small bug as I work with children and it appeared too early to have pregnancy symptoms. I did talk with my obgyn nurse and she feels like it was either a bug or ovulation. Is it possible to feel pregnancy symptoms that early? I have read that you don't experience nausea that early but wanted to get some input from you on that. It had only been a few days since conception. Is it too early for morning sickness?

Hello and thankyou for your reply.
It is most likely to be a viral cause for your vomiting.
It is was too early to have had symptoms of pregnancy then.
It takes around 6-12 days for the fertilized ovum to implant in the uterus. You had vomiting on the 3rd day after ovulation itself which is too early for any symptoms. Patients may experience morning sickness anywhere between 2- 4 weeks after implantation.
Besides if it was morning sickness, the nausea would have persisted.
That episode is nothing to worry about.

I hope this has helped.
Wishing you a healthy pregnancy.
Thankyou

I noticed the nausea that day got worse when I was by someone with strong parfume. Is that normal when you have nausea?. Let's say I ovulated a few days earlier than the 25th as I don't know exactly. Like closer to the 21st. You're answer would be the same I assume?

Yes it is unlikely to be due to pregnancy. Cause even if you did ovulate on 21st, 28th is still just the 7th day.
You need not worry about that episode.
I hope this has helped.
Thankyou.

I just wondered if I could have had a heightened awareness to smells at that time since I had the nausea. Probably not since it was so early in the pregnancy. I have fear that I should have know earlier than I did since I drank alcohol up to the time I discovered I was pregnant. I was told that the drinking didn't affect the pregnancy since it was so early on. I have guilt that I should have known earlier.

Expert:  Dr. Deepu Sebin Sebastian replied 1 Day.

Many women drink upto the time they know they are pregnant which is very common and nothing to worry.
Since you have drank in the early pregnancy, which would most be upto 4-5 weeks as you discovered you were pregnant on 8th Feb, I would say you need not worry. AT 4 weeks the embryo cells were arranging to themselves to start the formation of major organs and alcohol would not have caused any harm. Hence you stopped alcohol consumption on time. Put this behind you, and make sure you take proper prenatal care. Make sure to take all the immunizations, and supplements advised to you by your doctor.
Make sure you completely avoid alcohol, undergo all the routine prenatal checkups and tests. Eat healthy. Stay positive, sleep well.

What you have done is a common happening and you need not worry.
Wishing you all the best and a happy and safe pregnancy.
Thankyou