Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Have a bleeding ulcer; I take excessive alcohol, severe pain in lower back.

Resolved Question:

Please assist me I am a 30 year old male and a heavy drinker. I have a bleeding ulcer and been admitted to hospital twice for this, I have been drinking heavily the last few days and today my kidneys I presume (my lower back both sides) are extremely painful all the time, they are so sore I cannot even lay down on the bed and sleep is certainly out of the question. I have taken my ulser pills which are CPL Alliance Ranitidine 150 but I have never been in this much pain and normally its my ulcer that is in pain not my lower back (kidneys)Is there any way I can relieve some of the pain until I can get to a doctor?

Category: Community

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
 19 Doctors Online

From your diagnosis, it appears your kidneys are affected due to excessive use of Ranitidine.

Alcohol worsens peptic ulcer to extent that complications of peptic ulcer can develop like bleeding from ulcer and perforation of ulcer. Ranitidine you are taking only helps by reducing the acid production in stomach. If you continue to have alcohol, there is no use in you taking ranitidine as its effects are inhibited by alcohol.

Ranitidine excreted through kidney. Ranitidine taken chronically for more than 3 months damages the kidney reversibly. I suggest you to stop having ranitidine and mainly stop with alcohol. If you continue with alcohol, peptic ulcer disease can worsen leading to perforation and strictures etc.

You can take sucralfate, which will coat your ulcers. But again if you continue with alcohol, there would be no effect again. For your kidney function, renal function tests have to be done to know the extent of damage. I suggest you consult a urologist. For your pain you can do spasmolytics like Meftal spas.

Thank you.

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news