Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Is there any damage to my nose  or lungs because of those fumes?

Resolved Question:

Dear Doctor. Last night I was in a remote place. Unfortunately, my neighbours met with an accident. Actually, the house was on fire. There was some flame that came from somewhere, and ignited the leaves and the household. Myself, along with my family members rushed to the spot, which is exactly 3 feet away from my house. We tried to rescue the persons in the house. I entered the house and tried to save a kid. When I came out one of my hand got hurt. There’s a lot of plastic stuff in their house, which eventually was on fire. Now my problem is from the past few hours.,I'm suffering from nausea, vomiting and dizziness. Is this all because of the fire and the fumes that came out during that accident? Is there any damage to my nose or lungs because of those fumes? Also I feel very weak from last night. Please suggest me some help in my case.

Category: Sexologist

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
 19 Doctors Online

Hello. Thanks for posting your query here.

I appreciate your effort in helping others when they are in trouble. But I'm sorry for the condition you're in now because of that incident.

In the event of fire accident in houses, there is lot of carbon monoxide emitted in the fumes. Usually when a house is on fire the sofa sets, and all the plastic stuff in the house are burnt. During this process, there is a lot of CO that is being emitted from the plastic stuff. This carbon monoxide, which is a toxic gas, when inhaled in large proportions causes some respiratory symptoms along with some neurological symptoms. The symptoms may range from simple headache, nausea, confusion to severe neurological issue such as loss of memory, confusion, depression.

The symptoms are usually immediate and require treatment with oxygen. Patients who become conscious upon breathing carbon monoxide gas require immediate attention with cardiopulmonary resuscitation. In your case as there is definitive timelag, the chances of you getting in the complications are rare. However, for further evaluation, I recommend you to consult a physician or a pulmonologist.

Hope this helps.

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news