Acute Pharyngitis.

my daughter is 3 years old. since july she has had recurring mild fever, soar throat and cold. the doctors prescribed her 2 puffs of budecort , morning evening and 2 puffs of levolin morning, evening.It did help initially but not anymore. can you advice. she has a lot of cough.

Is she having cough since July ?
Is she having fever currently ?

Is there a history of low grade fever/sweating in the night ?
Have you done any blood tests or Chest Xay ? (If so please share the reports

Is she having cough since July ? - Yes.. On and Off
Is she having fever currently ? - since last 2 weeks, she does get fever once in 2-3 days.

Is there a history of low grade fever/sweating in the night ? - yes, lot of sweating.. fever no.
Have you done any blood tests or Chest Xay ? (If so please share the reports - no such tests done.

Thanks,
-Gauravi

Hello Gauravi,

Your daughter needs a set investigations. Symptom based treatment might not work any more. With symptoms like sweating and recurrent fever and cough the possibility of Tuberculosis has to be ruled out.

She needs a Chest Xay, Complete Blood Count, Mantaux tests and Sputum test (if possible). It is not prudent to proceed with symptom based treatment. I recommend you to get in touch with a Paediatrician for this purpose. You can get back to me with reports.

Feel free to ask followups / clarifications

Thanks Dr Deepu. I did talk to pedeatricians. Quite a few infact. They always call it "allergic bronchitis" and give the same medicines. though i will get the tests done and revert to you.
-Gauravi

Hello Gauravi,

The most likely diagnosis could be Allergic Bronchitis. However it does not explain the night sweats and fever. In an Indian scenario it is always better to rule out infections like Tuberculosis.

Hi, Thanks.. I will get the tests. What are the chances of TB if she has had a BCG vaccination? Her height is 100 Cm and her weight is around 15.85 kilos.

Expert:  Dr. Deepu Sebin Sebastian replied 1 Day.

BCG vaccines offers protection only again severe TB and complications. Its efficacy can be as low as 10% in some cases. So it does not alter the chance or risk.