Tests to find the reason for HIGH EOSINOPHIL LEVEL.

A recent blood test showed that I have a high eosinophil level. I understand it could be caused by certain parasitic infections within the gut. What tests would determine the infections? Could it have been caused by something I consumed? I understand that most foods or drugs would not lead to higher eosinophil levels.

Hello. Thank you for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com
I unyour concern.
High eosinophil count or eosinophilia can be caused by a lot of diseases such as allergic disorders, hay fever, pemphigus, eosinophilic esophagitis, in cases of gastroenteritis, and some autoimmune disorders. Do you have any gastric symptoms? Like nausea/vomiting/ foul smelling stools/ change in stool consistency, lower abdominal pain? Yes parasitic infestation can also high eosinophils. That can be ruled out with a simple stool routine examination- for ova/cysts/ parasites. When was the last time you took treatment for intestinal parasites? ( like albendazole dose )
In your case i will advise the following medicine :
Tab. Mebendazole 150 mg one dose at bed time,
followed by one more dose after 3 days at bed time.
This will help in removing any occult parasite from your intestine that might be causing you gastrointestinal distress.

Hello, Thank you for your response.
I have not taken any treatment for intestinal parasites in the past many years. Do I need a prescription for mebendazole? I only have slight burning sensation in the stomach sometimes and 5.1% eosiniphil levels but no nausea/vomiting/foul smelling stools etc. I had a test done for h.pylori which was negative but not for ova/cysts/parasites. I take it they are separate tests. I will take your suggestion and get the stool examination done.

Hello. Thank you for the follow up.
Yes the stool examination will reveal if there is any fecal occult blood loss, or there are any worms/ parasites. It is better to get it done before taking mebendazole.
And no mebendazole is an OTC drug, you can get it from any local pharmacy store.
Please get back to me after the stool examination report is ready for me to guide you further.