Unprotected sex and got UTI now fears HIV

So I've only had sex with 3 guys, and I wore a condom with the first 2. However, my most recent boyfriend and I did not use a condom as he told me that he had used a condom with every other partner he's had. About 4 days after we first had sex I began having uti symptoms, something I get frequently from having sex it seems. I took azo the first day, the symptoms went away and about 3 days later I took a full 2 weeks, 3 pills a day dosage of amoxicillin minus the last 2 pills that were accidentally knocked down my kitchen sink. The uti symptoms completely disappeared. However, while I was taking the amoxicillin, 10 days after we initially first had sex, I got a sore throat that turned into what appeared to be a common cold (the cold has been going around lately). This lasted for about a week, although I have had a lingering cough that has now gone away. Today, about a month after sex I realized I had a bit of a rash on my legs. But after using a new non dull razor it seems to have gone away. I've been relatively tired, although I'm in college and this is pretty typical. Today I also noticed that my left lymph node under my neck is swollen. When I looked at causes HIV was listed. I also read that cold symptoms 2 weeks after sex can indicate HIV. Does it sound like I could be infected?

I understand your concern. I think you are talking about the “HIV – Seroconversion illness” . Theoretically you do have a risk for HIV transmission since you had an unprotected sexual intercourse.

However the set of symptoms you have described in not suggestive of an early HIV infection. Even though you have some components of the “HIV- Seroconversion” illness your symptoms are most possibly due to bacterial / viral infection other than HIV.

I recommend an HIV and STD testing anyhow. You can go for a HIV combined test (antigen + antibody). The ideal time to do the test is after 4 weeks of the incident.

I hope this clarifies.
Please feel free to ask follouwp questions.

If cold or flu like symptoms indicate HIV do these symptoms persist or do they go away like a normal cold would? Also, do you know what could potentially be causing my swollen lymph node? it doesn't hurt but it is noticeable to the touch

They should go away in both cases. However in NOT HIV it will quickly resolve and respond well to medication. Swollen lymph node just says infection or inflammation. In HIV usually there will be multiple swollen nodes, in the neck, hip etc. Even in the neck you will have many. So it is less likely be HIV. Keep a watch on the nodes.

And do get a HIVtest done
Do not worry, and DO insist for condoms in future !

I got tested today and it was negative. However my doctor said that I should be retested in 3 months because 4 weeks may be too soon. She also said that my lymph nodes were actually not swollen at all. But if my cold was actually hiv symptoms does that mean the test would have been positive?

Yes if it was HIV, you should have been positive (most of the cases antibodies can develop by 4 weeks). So you can relax ! No need to worry. The repeat test is optional. You go for it anyway to be 100% sure.