Is this cancer or simply adenoid?

Hello. I am a chronic smoker. I have this habit of smoking from the past 20 years. In the last 20 days. I have experienced difficulty in breathing. For the same reason I have consulted an ENT specialist last week. He took my history, examined my nose and throat with some instruments. He said that there is some mass in my left nose. He said that this mass is obstructing my respiration. He advised me to take an x-ray. I went back to his office carrying the x-ray which I was supposed to take. He examined the x-ray and said that the mass is just an adenoid and said that nothing to worry. Before going to x-ray, I thought that it is some kind of cancer in my nose. Even though he clarified that the mass is not cancer, I'm not satisfied with his word. I'm very much worried whether it is a nose cancer. Also, sometimes I feel that there is some mucus discharge through my nose. Is this cancer or simply adenoid? By the way, what is adenoid?

Hello. Thanks for posting your query here.

Let me give some brief introduction about adenoids. Adenoids are lymphyocytic aggregates at the back of nose and at the junction of nose and throat. They are protective structures that aid in protection from viral and bacterial infections. Adenoids get enlarged when there is an infection or inflammation. Repeated attacks of common cold, even can stimulate the adenoids and result in their enlargement.

Adenoids can result in obstruction during respiration when they get enlarged. The diagnosis of adenoids is usually done by physical examination, and some imaging techniques. If it were to be a naso pharyngeal carcinoma, there would be other symptoms like weight loss, repeated attacks of infections, and it can be easily identified by physical examination and imaging techniques. I suggest you not to get worried and I recommend you to follow the precautions that are advised by your physician.